Monday, July 26, 2010

A start

This whole experiment is because of one man's obsession with wine and food. Not mine, although I have a deeply rooted sweet tooth that I can blame my mother for, but rather my boyfriend's. We have similar tastes in music, TV, movies (to an extent), but our jobs couldn't be further apart. At the moment, I am the technical editor for a market research and technology consulting firm. My beau is the sommelier for a restaurant in the city.

Sommelier. That's pronounced som-me-eh. I have told my family and friends his title for months now and I still think I say it wrong. My basic understanding of his job is that he runs the restaurant's extensive wine cellar and bar, as well as makes suggestions to patrons on what to have with their roasted artichoke hearts or duck a l'orange. Where my job involves thousands of pages about digital camera parts that have names straight from sci-fi novels (XLR-550 anyone?), he gets to go to wine tastings and lunches to see if he should be adding white wine A or such-and-such gin to the collection at the "resto".

After telling my co-workers about our nights out at this bistro to eat god-knows-what with some wine I can't pronounce for the life of me, I started playing with the idea of keeping a diary of sorts about being my beau's "plus one" to industry events and tastings. He, of course, was thrilled with the idea, but the man also ordered bone marrow and fries one night out so his tastes are a little suspect.

Along the way, I plan to try and learn as much as I can and hopefully give a little insight and knowledge for anyone else interested. Who knows? We might actually be able to order a glass of wine without wondering afterwards if its called Cha-bliss or sha-Blee.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment